Monday, March 12, 2007

Bracket Impressions - Omissions

  • Four incorrect inclusions in my final bracket below - Syracuse, Missouri State, Drexel, Air Force.
  • Four tourney teams according to the Selection Committee - Purdue, Texas Tech, Stanford, Arkansas

ESPN's Season RPI (which I assume is accurate): 30 Air Force, 35 Arkansas, 36 Missouri State, 39 Drexel, 42 Purdue, 50 Syracuse, 53 Texas Tech, 63 Stanford

ESPN's Non-Conference RPI (also assumed to be accurate): 14 Drexel, 16 Arkansas, 24 Air Force, 38 Missouri State, 39 Texas Tech, 40 Purdue, 45 Syracuse, 55 Stanford

So, the case I made for each of my excluded teams -

  • Drexel - Good RPI for the season made even better by a non-conference strength of schedule ranked 8th. That non-conference schedule included wins at Vermont, St. Joseph's, Villanova, Syracuse, Temple, and Creighton.
  • Air Force - 30th ranked RPI was enough to overlook 4 game losing streak to end the season. Non-conference wins included victories at George Washington by 14, at Stanford by 34, and at home over Texas Tech by 14. For some reason, I thought head-to-head victories meant something.
  • Missouri State - After last year's griping with the ACC, I can never be confused with a big fan of the Missouri Valley Conference, but I did feel that the 6th rated conference deserved more than 2 teams, rather than a 4th from the 7th rated Big 12. Factor in the solid RPI and a win over Wisconsin, and I thought they should be in.
  • Syracuse - The late 5 game regular season win streak that ended with a 14 point win over a Georgetown team in the midst of winning 15 of 16 games convinced me to give them the nod over the Razorbacks who had lost 9 of 15 games prior to the SEC tourney.

No comments: